Homemaking Is a Ministry

|by | Popular Posts, Simple Home

homemaking is a ministry]

Over the past two years, I’ve slowly gotten into homemaking.

Now, it’s sort of “my thing.”

I didn’t see it coming, but somewhere along the way, I began to realize the eternal, beautiful, godly, glorious significance of Biblical homemaking.

I began to see that this is much more than cleaning toilets. Godly homemaking is the intermingling of craft and work for the purpose of cultivating a space to nurture our families and ourselves for God’s glory. Home is God’s idea. It’s a blessing from Him to the people He created. It is to be a place of safety, belonging, community and met needs.

“My people will live in safety, quietly at home. They will be at rest.” Isaiah 32:18 (NLT)

“God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.” Psalm 68:6 (NIV)

As women, regardless of our marital, parental or employment status, we were made to do this. It’s in our very nature. At the core, the satisfaction of homemaking runs deep.

As I’ve risen up into my role as a homemaker, I’m looking an sounding a lot like my mother and grandmothers. It takes a certain level of maturity to be open to that… I mean, they always seemed so “other” than me. And I was hipper (at least in my own mind –way too cool to bake pies and mop floors.) 😉

…until God awoke me to the fact that all those big, fancy, smart things I had envisioned to do with my life in worldly arenas were as fleeting as the wind.

And those big, fancy, God-things I envisioned doing? Perhaps the impact would be lasting, but the oh-so-fun acknowledgement of people makes that reward fleeting as well (Matthew 6:1-6).

As I read the Bible, I saw that, in contrast, the quiet, barely-acknowledged diligent laboring of home, when done whole-heartedly unto God and for His glory, is truly a pursuit with eternal rewards, an inheritance from the Lord.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)

I realized, simply put, that…

homemaking is a ministry.

Because of that, I can feel good about pulling back from other types of ministry in order to fully attend to the needs of my home in this consuming season of life (with three little children, fully at home).

IMG_3391

My two big kids with playing one of their best friends. 🙂

Titus 2:4-5 says,

“And so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.” (ESV)

My work, my purity and devotion to my family, hold God’s word up in honor. Homemaking matters.

I know that my role in the kingdom of God as a homemaker, wife and mother is no less important than the more glorified ministry roles I could perhaps possess –more humble, yes, but no less significant.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 says,

“and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody” (NIV)

As we diligently complete the work God has given us, we point to His truth.

What’s more, God has entrusted me with three little people.

These children are mine (and my husband’s) to raise and mold and care for during the short years we have them at home. This is a gift and a weighty responsibility!

Most likely, I will have more influence over their lives than any other lives I touch during my brief years here on the earth. That’s to be taken seriously. If I don’t scale back now and take time to disciple and shepherd them, when will I?

2015-06-06 17.10.33

Not to mention the way I support and love and care for my husband, which is another key purpose of the home.

Today, I hope you recognize the eternal importance of homemaking. I hope you see that, no matter how trivial the daily tasks may feel, this matters.

How would your thinking change if you embraced the ministry of homemaking?

Do you feel you’re failing as a homemaker?

Although homemaking is now a passion in my life, this wasn’t always the case. In fact, when first assumed responsibility for my very own home, I really struggled.

Keeping my home in-check felt impossible, and I was always a step behind. I hesitated to invite people into my home because it required the stress of tidying up. This was not a good way to live, but it was also deeply ingrained.

The process of creating real change in my life has taken diligence and hard work, but I’ve stuck with it. Through trial and error, and lots of careful study of the amazing homemakers in my life, I’ve figured out where to put my efforts for maximum results.

Over time, I have changed my feeling about myself as a homemaker entirely! Now I’m passionate about teaching other women what I’ve learned!

This is why I spent most of the past year developing the Help for the Hopeless Homemaker Online Course.

This scripture-based, 11-part course is designed to help you gain control of your home for God’s glory

600x375 find out more

To Learn More, Watch This!

find out more button 200px

41 Comments on Homemaking Is a Ministry

1. Diane
    October 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM (1 year ago)

Yes! I loved this.I have been through seasons of acknowledging my role as homemaker and seasons of rebelling against it. Every once in a while my heart starts focusing on what other big grand things I think I should be doing to please God outside of my home. It isn’t long before I realize that I usually want to go those things for my glory, not His.

• shelly
      October 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM (1 year ago)

This is so perfect for me. I am struggling after falling ill and I to give up my work recently. I feel so lost because I really love my job. I keep trying to define who I am. We have a daughter with cerebral palsy and i almost bit someone’s head off when they asked if i was her full time carer! My husband teases me and calls me ‘house wife”. He loves that face that I am home. I should be happy because we are fortunate to live on one income but I feel lost. I kept looking online for jobs. Thanks for sharing this x

October 26, 2015 at 10:44 AM (1 year ago)

Taking time to pray for you right now Shelly. I know God has a good plan. My transition from working to being at home was a bit rocky. It took a while for me to find new friends in the same situation to share life with. My encouragement to you would be, ask God to show you a potential friend and invite her over! That may seem irrelevant, but that scary step (which lead to community) was what made all the difference for me in the long run.
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Asking God for a Prayer for Each ChildMy Profile

2. Katrina
    October 26, 2015 at 4:25 PM (1 year ago)

I enjoyed your post so much! So glad I stumbled upon your blog. i’m going to have fun reading through some of your posts and poking around on your site! 🙂

3. Michelle
    October 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you for writing your post about Homemaking being a ministry. I have been a stay at home mom for the last 6 years and have been struggling lately with feeling burnt out. The past two years have been the hardest. I never really looked at homemaking as being a ministry. You really brought a new perspective to me. I always just considered myself a stay at home mom and honestly looked down on the word homemaking. But now that I understand the word homemaker and that is what God wants and has called me to be then it is the title I am going to proudly wear! I can be a homemaker with God’s help and guidance. Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration! 🙂

October 27, 2015 at 3:26 PM (1 year ago)

Michelle, that is so fun to hear!! Thank you for sharing. I pray that God blesses you in this role and continues to build your vision for homemaking as you seek Him and walk in obedience! Bless you!
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Homemaking Is a MinistryMy Profile

4. Jen
    October 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you for sharing this post. I have felt overwhelmed and “less than” in my homemaking journey of late. Being refreshed in the importance of “My Ministry” is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you again.

October 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM (1 year ago)

You are so welcome! Thank you for sharing that, it’s encouraging. May God bless you on this journey!
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Homemaking Is a MinistryMy Profile

5. Amanda
    October 26, 2015 at 10:09 PM (1 year ago)

I love this! I needed to read this tonight. Looking at homemaking as a ministry changes everything…it really does! You do things more intentional for sure.

October 27, 2015 at 3:28 PM (1 year ago)

I agree! I feel so much more fulfilled, yet also called to a higher level of excellence, now that I have learned to see it this way. May God bless you in your ministry of homemaking!
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Homemaking Is a MinistryMy Profile

6. Rachel
    October 27, 2015 at 5:53 AM (1 year ago)

I love this idea of ministry being raising my family! I’m a full-time working mom and have struggled with wanting to stay-at-home (but knowing it’s not possible for our situation). I can minister to my children by showing them balance between work and home-life, what it means to be present at home, and how to ask for God’s grace when I don’t get it right. Being a stay-at-home mom may not be in the cards for me, but ministering through homemaking doesn’t require that I’m home all day. Thanks for this wonderful reminder!

October 27, 2015 at 3:30 PM (1 year ago)

I couldn’t agree more Rachel! God has SO MUCH that He wants to do in and through your home. (Not to mention everything He wants to do in and through you in your work place!) I pray that He blesses you as you ingest these truths and thanks for sharing!
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Homemaking Is a MinistryMy Profile

7. Catherine
    October 27, 2015 at 8:46 AM (1 year ago)

What a great post! I am a “homemaker” too. I say that loosely because I grew up in day-cares. My parents both worked full time, so I am having to learn all that goes into homemaking on my own. Each day has a new challenge but changing how we look at those challenges is a huge help. Thanks for showing us all how to look at those challenges.
    Catherine recently posted…Watching Daddy Fly AwayMy Profile

October 27, 2015 at 3:32 PM (1 year ago)

I can relate to that as well. Learning to run a home hasn’t come naturally to me, despite the fact that my mom was pretty amazing. She did work outside the home and I don’t, plus she’s a harder worker naturally. It’s truly a calling.
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Homemaking Is a MinistryMy Profile

8. Great words, Katie! My husband and I don’t have children yet, and between my different jobs I sometimes have a hard time balancing homemaking along with them. I love that you identify it as a ministry-it’s so easy to forget that! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Hannah recently posted…What Is Simple Living?My Profile

9. christa sterken
    December 5, 2015 at 11:45 PM (1 year ago)

it is SO refreshing to hear young woman embracing this idea. I remember feeling guilty for being so fulfilled mothering, homemaking. My parents didn’t believe I could “possibly” find it rewarding. But I did! And now that my girls are 17 and 20? I don’t regret one moment. Keep it up girl, God bless you
    christa sterken recently posted…How to shift anxious, expectant anticipation into action- Printable QuoteMy Profile

10. Danielle Amo
    January 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM (1 year ago)

Dearest Katie,
    Your words are so beautiful and speak such truth to my heart! I quit my career to take on “staying at home”! Through my 5 years at home my heart has changed as God has shown me my place and my talented ability to care for the ones he created just for me! It’s refreshing to know other Godly women are out there putting their faith and family before other worldly things! I do feel judged and alone at times because my views are “old fashioned” but through scripture I’ve learned that God is making me wiser! So comforting to read your blog! I look forward to reading more! Thank you!

January 4, 2016 at 4:43 PM (1 year ago)

Danielle, that is so encouraging to hear! May God bless you as you find your calling within your home. I’m only just beginning to understand the power of that.
      Katie Bennett recently posted…My One Word for 2016: My Profile

11. Christy Marsh
    January 14, 2016 at 7:48 PM (1 year ago)

Katie,

I loved your post, I stayed home when my kids when they were young and then started working full time at their elementary school. When my son went to middle school last year I was very fortunate to quit my job and transition him through his first year of middle school. He did fine and then my husband lost his job this summer and felt I needing to go back to work. I’m a coach at an elementary school and feel such a calling to be home with my kids again. I have a junior and a 7th grader and teenage years are tough. My husband did get a job but the pay is not as good as his last job. Would you please keep me in your prayers as I try to figure out how to tell my husband I want to come back home to be a full time mom. Now I just feel so wore out as a coach that I feel like I give the kids at school my best and my kids at home only get the leftovers. Please pray that God shows me what I should do.

Christy

12. Wendy
    January 22, 2016 at 4:39 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you Katie for writing about this. I came across this article in your blog while looking around on Pinterest. The timing couldn’t have been better. I was beginning to wonder what my purpose is and feel being a homemaker is my purpose.

13. Savannah
    March 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM (1 year ago)

I’m so thankful to have found your blog! My husband and I made the decision for me to come home with my daughter about 4 months ago. I truly enjoy being home with her. I value being a stay-at-home-mom and value the importance of family. I know that what I’m doing right now matters in a such vast way. Thank you for sharing this great post!

14. The Jessie K
    March 15, 2016 at 4:59 PM (1 year ago)

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! It’s so true! Thank you for such a great reminder to all of us moms who have hard days. It’s such a good point to feel better about doing the daily things in our homes. 🙂

15. Hannah S
    October 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM (5 months ago)

This was such a great article. Thank you for sharing your heart on this matter. I do believe homemaking is the highest calling and so many mommas/wives/women need support and encouragement. Thank you for letting the Lord use you in this way!

16. Amanda
    November 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM (5 months ago)

I need this! God bless you !

17. Ashley
    December 7, 2016 at 11:08 PM (4 months ago)

I know I am a little late finding this post, but I had to comment because this is exactly what I needed to read. We just had baby #4 on Thanksgiving (4 boys 4 1/2 and under!) so life is a just little hectic. 😉 I started staying home with my kids in July. I often have to remind myself that we made the decision for me to stay home because I was tired of feeling like my boys were sacrificing for my career and I felt like God had been telling me through circumstances that I needed to be home to raise my family. However, I do miss working and it is too easy to get wrapped up thinking about missing out on one thing or another when I stop remembering that raising a family/homemaking is absolutely a calling! Of course it’s not going to be easy, but I am so thankful to be able to do it. Thank you for being encouraging and reminding me that God wants us to be intentional in this area. It really changes my perspective to realize that being a homemaker glorifies Him!

January 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM (2 months ago)

I love that Ashley! I am reading an awesome book right now called The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. I highly recommend it if you need more encouragement and vision in this area. Maybe you could read it in all that spare time you have, ha! I hope things are going well! I know that is a struggle, but God is glorified as you persevere and rely on His grace.
      Katie Bennett recently posted…You Probably Have Too Much Stuff (Here’s Why)My Profile

18. Laura
    February 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM (1 month ago)

This is exactly what I needed to read today. God Bless you and your heartfelt blog.

19. Kim
    February 26, 2017 at 8:57 PM (4 weeks ago)

I wanted to comment on these sweet wonderful words that you have made on your site here. I do want to ask though it many women can still feel the calling to be a homemaker when their children are grown. I work part time but love being in my home and cooking and providing a Christ centered home for others to come to and for my husband Thank you

• Kim
      February 26, 2017 at 9:20 PM (4 weeks ago)

Thank you Katie! And I love your name, that’s my newly married daughters names. She is 21 and. Married an amazing young man and they serve the lord together in our home church. My son is 17 and a senior and will start college this year. I am thankful to hear so many women love their true calling of being a homemaker and loving it!! My daughter is preparing her way to be able to do that when they start their family. So exciting to see that she sees the importance of me doing it with her and her brother and wanting to also.

20. Gabrielle Jingyi
    February 27, 2017 at 10:55 PM (4 weeks ago)

Thank you for sharing! It took me a long time to come to terms with my calling as a SAHM. It nv felt like a calling to me bcos I always tot God calls people to do greater things. But slowly, I realised home ministry is equally great!
    Needed to read this today.

21. Laura
    March 12, 2017 at 2:33 PM (2 weeks ago)

Thank you for this post, Katie! I happened to find this today as I was searching for something else. I’ve been a full-time stay at home mom since before my first child was born, and this past year we’ve added the extra job of homeschooling. I appreciate your words so much because while I have never wanted a career outside of our home, I sometimes throw myself a pity party because it seems like the accolades are all for the women who have chosen to work outside the home, and use childcare to raise their children, etc. This is NOT to bash on that choice, but rather to comment how good it is to be reminded on why I decided that I needed to be home with my children. Homemaking truly IS a ministry!