Using Accent Walls to Create a High-Impact Yet Simple Decor

|by | Simple Homemaking

using accent walls to create simple yet high impact decor

The Ideal of Simple Decor

In my quest for an easy-to-maintain, uncluttered home, I have carefully reconsidered my home decorating. Instead of crowded walls and table tops, I opted for a clean and open look. I think of it as “simple decor.”

This required me to do some redecorating (or more like decorating for the first time).

I’d say my family is fairly “fun” and “lively.” So I want our home to reflect that. We like color and beauty and… pizzazz. So for us, “simple decor” doesn’t mean “bland or no decor.”

And “simple decor” is something I’m still working to realize and put into practice.

However, if there is one area of my home where I feel I’ve achieved this look, it’s my entryway! What better way to make a home welcoming than to creating a visually appealing entryway?

Few people walk through our doors without commenting on and admiring it, yet there is no sense of clutter and very little furniture or decoration.

What did we do?

We wallpapered an accent wall!

_D4B0018

Accenting with Wallpaper

Here’s How We Did It:

• We went to Sherwin Williams Paint Store and looked through their library of wallpaper books until finding a cute, modern Candice Olson design.
  • We ordered it online.
  • We followed the instructions to install it, which included buying wallpaper glue at Lowe’s.
  • We wallpapered one small wall, directly across from the front door, for about $120 and with only an hour or two of time invested.

The result is fun and eye-catching. It adds the pizzazz I had hoped for without adding furniture, knick-knacks or virtually any maintenance. And don’t worry, wallpaper is cool again. It’s made a comeback with some great, modern-looking designs.

So if you’re looking for a simple way to dress up a room, consider wallpapering an accent wall!

Other Accent Wall Ideas

A fun punch of paint is another high-impact way to add some flair. I used this concept in both of my kids’ rooms and our office/dining room area. It’s simple, cheap, and goes a long way in terms of color.

_MG_1746

We also use this idea with shelving. There are some open shelves in my kitchen behind which I pasted a patterned fabric using cornstarch and water. It is definitely my favorite decorative element in my kitchen.

So, some may say I’m a little obsessed with accent walls, but I think they’re actually great enough to deserve all this use!

How do you use accent walls in your home? Tell us in the comments section below.

using accent walls to create simple yet high impact decor_portrait

12 Comments on Using Accent Walls to Create a High-Impact Yet Simple Decor

1. Linda
    June 30, 2015 at 7:10 PM (2 years ago)

That is so wonderful. Your decorating “style” has paid big dividends!

2. Linda
    June 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you, Katie. I just love that concept and also the passage you chose. I used it once when I taught a little high school homemaking class–just written on really big paper and taped to the wall. We read it aloud once each day and the girls learned it with no further effort, but I had to practice at home:) We added a verse every couple of weeks and learned a couple of paragraphs that way. I am excited to see about getting a really professional looking one for us in our home. Thank you so much for telling me where to get it!

June 30, 2015 at 4:04 PM (2 years ago)

It’s funny you mention that, because my daughter has just started taking a huge interested in “the verse on her wall” and suddenly has it mostly memorized. It has naturally lead into conversations throughout the day about what it means to live it. I love environmental scripture!!

3. Linda
    June 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM (2 years ago)

The verse on the wall in your daughters room catches my eye. It looks great, it’s clutter-free and it’s a wonderful way to memorize Scripture. I would love to see a post on how to do it.

June 29, 2015 at 2:10 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks Linda! I will probably do that, because you’re right, it is so nice and clutter-free. Nothing to dust either! It’s actually a vinyl wall decal. I ordered it on Etsy where they have SO MANY choices!

4. Sheryl
    September 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM (3 years ago)

*entry way 😉

5. Sheryl
    September 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM (3 years ago)

Your entry was is so perfectly simple, lovely and stylish! (I also have to say, ever photo I’ve seen in your home is that way!) I’ll save this idea 🙂

September 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Sheryl! I can’t take much credit… my mother-in-law has superb design sense and I have pretty little. She helped me come up with mostly all of my decor. Although, now that I think about it, I did come up with the entryway and the basic concept of simplicity. So… thanks! 🙂

6. Michelle
    September 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM (3 years ago)

Your wall and entry turned out very cute Katie!! What a great idea….is that table from Target? Love it! We also have simple decor in our home. I think that a home where less is more, decor is simple, but makes a impact equals less stress and chaos. Plus there is less time cleaning and dusting all “those things”. I rather dislike dusting LOL 🙂

September 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM (3 years ago)

It is from Target! Here’s the link. They periodically do sales on their furniture. I think we ended up getting it for around $100, which I was happy with after shopping around for months! I agree with you SO wholeheartedly about the “less stress and chaos” part of decorating, and dusting.

7. Kristy
    September 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM (3 years ago)

Love the blog! First time reader. My kitchen accent wall has slate blue cabinets with a But Butcher block top, different from therest of my white cabinets. In the living room I used an array of dollar store picture frames that I painted black and made a collage of family photos with the wall quote ” Bless this home and all who enter”. It also includes scattered verses in frames.

September 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM (3 years ago)

How fun! I love it! Thank you so much for stopping by and taking time to comment!