The Whys and Hows of a Prayer Closet

|by | Popular Posts, Spiritual Growth

The Whys and Hows of Creating a Prayer Closet

Have you ever considered creating a “prayer closet”…  a place where you can go to alone, in privacy, to spend quality, focused prayer time?  This is something I have found beneficial in my distracted life, to be able to pray more like I want to.  Please take the following as humble suggestions, as I “pull back the curtain” on a very private part of my life– my prayer closet.

The Why’s:

1. Because prayer matters to God and it’s powerful!  James 5:16 says “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”
  2. In today’s super-electronically connected world, it’s what we need to really be able to quiet our hearts, to hear God’s voice.
  3.  It is eye-opening, the things that God wants to reveal to you through a dedicated prayer time—insights into your life, your relationships, your motivations, and understanding God’s purposes.  Jeremiah 33:2-3 “This is what the Lord says, he who made the earth, the Lord who formed it and established it—the Lord is his name:  Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’”
  4.  We are commanded to devote ourselves to prayer.  Colossians 4:2 “Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.”
  5. For the future of us, our children, and our land.  2 Chronicles 7:14 says “Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.”
  6.  We are told to pray continually (1 Thessalonians 5:7), and be faithful in prayer.  How often do we actually, currently pray, though?  Probably not as much as we would like or should.  Romans 12:12 “Be hopeful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”
  7. Following Jesus’ example of withdrawing to a solitary place to pray.  Luke 22:39-46- we see that Jesus withdrew and knelt to pray.  And Mark 1:35 “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.”
  8. We are told to pray in secret (not just to be seen by others).  Matthew 6:5-6  “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

prayer closet graphic no title

The How’s

1. Consider if there is an actual extra little closet or space in your house where you can comfortably sit and kneel to pray.  It may currently be used as storage and filled with things, but consider emptying it by selling or giving away excess that you don’t really need.  If a little space like this does not exist in your home, try to be creative with an alternative– is there a space on the floor of your bedroom (not your bed!) where you could be alone, leave a Bible, prayer photo album (see description below), etc.?  It just needs to be an electronics free zone (no I Pads, IPhones, Laptops, etc.)
  2. Equip your little space with a lamp, if it doesn’t have lighting.  Also, I find it helpful to keep a throw pillow in there, to be a little more comfortable.
  3. Print off photos of people in your life that you want to be regularly praying for, and either put them up on a tack board or in a little prayer photo album, that you keep in your prayer closet.  Looking at people’s faces seems to help me remember to pray for them, and then to pray more specifically for what they are going through in their lives.
  4. Pray using the “ACTS” acronym.  Spend time on each “letter”.
    1. Adoration:  Spend some time adoring and worshipping God by declaring things about who He is.  (ie- Altogether good, loving, just, faithful, truth, etc.)  Psalm 145:3 “Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;  his greatness no one can fathom.”
    2. Confession:  Spend time confessing your own sins to God.  1 John 1:9- “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
    3. Thanksgiving:  Spend time listing out things you are thankful for—finding things to be thankful for will help you understand God’s purposes in hardship.  Ephesians 5:20- “And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”   Psalm 50:23- “But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.  If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God.”
    4.  Supplication:  This is the part where you bring your different requests to God—for yourself, for fellow Christians, for people who don’t know Jesus, for our country, for different situations around you and around the world, etc.  1 Timothy 2:1 “I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them.
  5. Pray with an open Bible.  God uses His Word (the Bible) to speak into our lives and reveal  Himself.  I would suggest that this should be an actual hard-copy of the Bible (not electronic), to guard against potential distraction.
  6. Keep a journal in your prayer closet.  You will want to be writing down (to remember) the things that God will start revealing to you.  Also, if you journal the things you are praying for, you will be encouraged and praise God when God answers your prayers, in His timing.  Otherwise, you might not even notice when God has moved in response to your prayer.
  7. Consider getting a book like Operation World to keep in your prayer closet, which daily will help you focus in prayer on a specific people group or country, and their spiritual needs/spiritual state.
  8. Spend some time praying in a kneeling position.  Something about kneeling to pray really seems to help humble my heart before God and helps me naturally tend towards worshipping Him.  (This does not have to be all your time in your prayer closet—just try it to see if it helps you focus on our glorious God.)  Psalms 95:6 “Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.”
  9. If the idea of spending more extended time in prayer seems overwhelming, set a kitchen timer (to have in the prayer closet) or a watch (not your smartphone, for distraction reasons). Then set the alarm to go off in a set amount of minutes (maybe start with 10 minutes and then add from there).  I think you’ll be surprised how fast time flies, once you really start praying through different people and situations in your life.
  10. Just get yourself into your prayer closet.  If you can make it that far, I think that actually praying will be the easier part.  Tearing ourselves away from the endless house work, TV, Facebook, e-mail, etc., is the hard part.  That is often what keeps us from hearing from God– being distracted. Don’t be discouraged if this feels unnatural and hard.  Prayer is a spiritual discipline, so that infers it will take time, effort and energy.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.”  – Hebrews 12:11

The real beauty of having a prayer closet is forcing out all the distractions that keep us from having the kind of prayer life that God desires. (Click to tweet)

Q:  Is prayer closet something that you can see yourself creating?  What are some ways that you currently are protecting and preparing for your dedicated prayer time?

Pin it here >>

how to create a prayer closet in your home

39 Comments on The Whys and Hows of a Prayer Closet

1. Kim
    July 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM (3 weeks ago)

Hi! I love the idea, but do you have any ideas on how to create a little space in a dorm room. (My roommate is also a Christian, so that is not a conflict.) Thanks.

2. Jenny
    March 14, 2017 at 8:05 PM (5 months ago)

Thank you so much going through à difficult time. I watched à movie called war room, great movie. I wanted to create a prayer room but never did came across this and i did it as soon as i read it. I took notes from you. Thank you very much. May God continue blessing you fully

3. Kristie
    February 7, 2017 at 6:18 AM (6 months ago)

Thank you for this! I have pinned it and will be using it as my guide for setting my prayer corner, or War Corner as I will call it. It is only big enough for me to sit on the ground but it is close to a shelf where I can put things such as journals, photo books, etc. I also appreciate the encouragement that it is okay to start small, it is about developing the habit.

4. Cynthia Corbin
    December 28, 2016 at 12:41 AM (8 months ago)

I really enjoyed reading all these positive comments about creating a prayer closet . I am now motivated again to find a space in my house to create a prayer closet.

5. Leslie
    December 8, 2016 at 8:07 AM (8 months ago)

Hi Katie, I loved this article! I talk a lot about prayer on my blog, and I’m going share this article on social media. It is very encouraging and another reminder to keep going to my special prayer place.

6. Samantha Hibbert
    October 30, 2016 at 3:05 AM (10 months ago)

Hi there I too have watched the war room no since then have been soooo moved as firstly a daughter of god, mother wife and more to create a prayer room I do have a very small cupboard which I can probably just fit into. (Would have been lovely as all family could use individually when moved)This may be too small thougj so may have to make a prayer corner in my room for now. will let you know how this goes.

7. Itunu
    October 14, 2016 at 3:44 PM (10 months ago)

This post is so helpful and encouraging! Thank you for sharing 🙂

8. Tiana James
    August 29, 2016 at 4:09 PM (12 months ago)

As a new Founder to Daughters of Faith Ministries, It’s important that I keep my prayer life and relationship with Jesus strong. Like some of the other Ladies, Every since seeing the movie “War Room”, I too have been inspired to began this journey of creating an “alone UNINTERRUPTED space” for time with Jesus. Please check back with me within a week to help hold me accountable. Thanks so, much Katie for the great encouragement and scripture reference. Please continue in Kingdom Building work.

9. Geraldine
    August 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM (12 months ago)

I really love this post since I saw the war room I have been meaning to start a prayer closet I don’t have the space so I’m going to make a place next to my bed ,I will let you know if it works, ,

10. Cheryl Walker
    June 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM (1 year ago)

I was asked by my Pastor to take on the women’s ministry at our church. We are a small church. But I want to begin our first meeting by presenting to them your idea of the prayer closet and get them on board to starting their own as I will also prepare a payer room in our church for our group. Your ideas are enlightening and anything that helps propel the Gospel needs to be emphasized even with women to ensure we continue the Lord’s plan of salvation. Thank you.

11. Rebekah @ MoreRadiance.com
    January 8, 2016 at 9:14 AM (2 years ago)

I love this post! One of my goals for this year is to create a space in my closet to have my prayer time… I’ve been blessed with TWO closets in my bedroom and I only need one for my clothing. I realize I need a quiet place to pray because my mind is so prone to distraction. This list gave me some great ideas, thank you so much for sharing it!
    Rebekah

12. Eliza
    November 21, 2015 at 5:49 AM (2 years ago)

I live in a small house, so don’t have room for a prayer closet. However, I have found that I avoid the electronic distractions & general family noise by praying in the shower. It really is amazing how good it feels to pray without distraction, and it is interesting what ‘comes through’ in your thoughts when you let God in!

13. Paula
    November 20, 2015 at 6:43 AM (2 years ago)

Immediately after seeing War Room I began planning for my own personal prayer area. I pray all throughout the day but as I spent time with my son, who was hospitalized for 77 days, I found great comfort in the cozy atmosphere of the hospital chapel and spent lots of time praying for loved ones there. I got motivated again to finish up my war room. I have a rather large bedroom with a sitting room but there’s just something about the closet that seems the perfect “uninterrupted” spot.

14. Renee
    November 5, 2015 at 11:26 PM (2 years ago)

A friend in a dorm took an old bicycle wheel and put pictures of those he was praying for between the spokes. Voila! A literal prayer ‘wheel’ in a very small space.

15. Aubrey
    October 26, 2015 at 10:50 AM (2 years ago)

i too have a prayer corner, in my room. ive got a rocking chair, some candles, and a small bookshelf with my bible, journals, devotional books on it. iwish i had a space that was actually more like a closet and less cluttered/distraction but imtrying to workwith what i have.
    ive recently started a prayer journal and have really organized it so that i am praying for certain peoe on certain days, writing down prayer requests..one of my favorite things to do is use journaling cards, like project life style cards, and write the persons name on them. then pick out a few scriptures to pray over them, and write them there. i can put them on a ring together or i have them taped into my prayer journal, and update or change them as i need to.
    i have felt such a difference in my prayer life!
    ive been journaling my prayers for a few years but until i did this i never realized i was mainly praying for myself and sort of randomly adding in my children, husband, etc.. this is much more focused and intentional.

October 27, 2015 at 3:24 PM (2 years ago)

Wow Aubrey, that sounds so powerful! Thank you so much for sharing your strategy!!
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Homemaking Is a MinistryMy Profile

16. Paula
    October 10, 2015 at 2:44 AM (2 years ago)

Katie. This article really encouraged me. I’ve been searching for a space to make my “prayer closet” but have limited options in our house. It looks like I’ll be making a prayer “corner.” Thank you for your ideas! I love your bold approach to declaring your faith on your blog. God bless you!
    Paula recently posted…R and L Minimal Pairs PracticeMy Profile

17. Susannah
    October 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM (2 years ago)

For those who live in small spaces, a prayer chair or corner might do. I live in a one bedroom flat with closets that are not big enough for this. So I have made a prayer corner in my bedroom. However, my prayer life does happen in more than one place, especially as I live alone. But just seeing it can be a reminder to spend time with God.

18. Bobbie
    September 30, 2015 at 11:22 AM (2 years ago)

Katie I would like to thank you for your website and blog. I came upon your site while searching for a recipe. Creating a closet for prayer. What a wonderful site you have created. I am a great grandmother and a long time follower of Christ. For the past year I have gotten serious about my walk with Christ. I’m continually looking for new ways to deepen my worship. You site contains a wealth of information that is valuable to a beginner or a seasoned Christian as myself. I’m using a lot of ideas that you have suggested and have become a follower. May God continue to guide you in your discipleship.

October 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM (2 years ago)

Bobbie –that is so fun to hear! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to encourage me. 🙂 It is greatly appreciated!
      Katie Bennett recently posted…Our Super-Simple Homeschool PreschoolMy Profile

19. Erica
    September 26, 2015 at 7:57 AM (2 years ago)

I really needed to see this. I just got through bellowing out unto God about how I miss having a prayer closet. In my old house, we had a free bedroom that was turned into a prayer closet. But right now, I have nowhere. I really need to look for a space here. Thanks for this article. I’m definitely going to read it again.

20. Judi
    September 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM (2 years ago)

I’m so happy I found this post. 2 years ago at age 45, I had a massive stroke. Since then I have been focused on my son now 13. I’m very passionate about prayer and started a prayer ministry for hospitals and nursing homes and random people. I often post on Facebook asking how I can pray for people and usually get an enormous number of requests. I wish to honor those requests in an organized, intentional fashion. I may go the PRAYER journal route.
    Judi recently posted…SUMMER BIBLE STUDY: let’s ROCK THIS!My Profile

September 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM (2 years ago)

Wow Judi, that’s an amazing ministry. Thank you so much for doing that.

21. Jessica
    August 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas for a prayer closet. This is an area in my spiritual walk in which I struggle deeply. I want to have this closeness with God and I feel Him tugging at my heart to create a space like this. Searching Pinterest for prayer “War Room” ideas lead me to your post. Thank you again for sharing!

August 28, 2015 at 3:30 PM (2 years ago)

I am so glad to hear it!!

22. Vickie
    March 21, 2015 at 7:18 AM (2 years ago)

Thank your for your obedience in posting this. Through you, God has revealed His will for my closet reorganization. There’s one small area that couldn’t accommodate a cabinet, so it was presumed to be useless space, and I’ve been pondering how I could use it, but through the inspiration of a sister in Christ (siC), I was researching prayer stools and came across your post. So, thank you for your obedience on sharing.

May you and your family be blessed for all you seek Him for through your faithfulness.

March 23, 2015 at 9:19 PM (2 years ago)

That is wonderful Vickie! Thank you for taking the time to share and encourage!

23. Tytenisha
    October 17, 2014 at 3:14 PM (3 years ago)

Thank you for this post! I absolutely agree with everything you said. I have been wanting my own prayer space for a long time. It just dawned on me a few days ago that there is a small closet in my basement. I’m going to clear everything out of it and create my own prayer closet. Thank you again. You posted really good information! I’m so excited! Blessings!

October 20, 2014 at 6:29 AM (3 years ago)

Tytenisha –that’s awesome! I’m so excited you are doing this! Have you had a chance to get started? How is it going?? What do you think so far? Bless you!

24. Rhonda Sue
    September 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM (3 years ago)

I absolutely love your idea of a prayer closet. I have been thinking of doing this for about 6 months now and just recently started looking online for ideas. There is not much info online about prayer closets/rooms. Thanks for sharing your ideas! It is great!

September 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM (3 years ago)

I’m SO glad you found this helpful! I bet you will really enjoy your prayer closet. Thanks for stopping by!

25. Connie
    August 7, 2014 at 8:58 PM (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing.