Whether mine or someone else’s, I love being around and holding newborn babies!
This is a passion that has grown since becoming a mother. When my first daughter was born four years ago, I hardly knew what to think or expect. I had rarely been around babies and was busily processing the drastic life-change that had just occurred. I wasn’t able to fully appreciate her in that season because I didn’t comprehend how quickly it would pass or how precious it was.
Since Emily was born three weeks ago (my now third baby), I’ve reflected on why this phase is so great. I know it’s a fleeting seasons, so I made a list to help me remember what I love about this sweet time.
My Top 10 Favorite Things About Newborns
1. You can eat ice cream while holding them (and you don’t have to share). Trust me, it’s a luxury.
2. The newborn stretch. You know the one. When they curl their backs, pull their knees way up and throw their head back.
3. Little everything. Little ears, features, fingers, toes…
4. Soft skin. Kissing their cheeks and temples is heavenly.
5. Cuddles always.
6. When they’re peaceful, they’re peaceful. Hold one long enough and it’ll seep into your bones.
7. Tiny, soft, sweet clothes.
8. The faces they make!
- The yawn
- the duck mouth when stretching
- the “milk-drunk” face
- the “I’m seriously considering crying” face
- the pouting bottom lip
- the crooked, wide open mouth, trying to find something to eat
- the mad face
- the peeking out with one eye face
… and the list goes on. It’s all so cute.
9. Also, the “supposedly” gas-induced smiles of what certainly seems to be pure, sleepy and total delight. I can’t help but smile right back.
10. The way people glorify God when they take that newborn baby in their arms. It’s as if a fountain of praise can’t help but flow forth. These new little lives show God’s truth and goodness in a way nothing else does.http://www.imago-dei-portraits.com[/caption%5D